Jeology Engineer Prof.
Osman Bektaş has drawn attention to the earthquake risk in Trabzon.Bektaş stated that the risk of earthquakes in Trabzon has increased due to the filled areas in the city.
He said, "Trabzon has a high risk of earthquakes.
There are two reasons for this: the building stock is not resistant to earthquakes, and the region has the capability of amplifying potential earthquakes due to its geological characteristics."
Following the earthquake disaster centered in Kahramanmaraş, the durability of building stock in Turkey continues to be a topic of debate.
Trabzon is one of the cities that is of concern.
Experts have stated that the city is also at risk of landslides and the building stock is insufficient.They emphasized the importance of conducting local ground study operations in the region where landslides frequently occur.
Former faculty member of Karadeniz Technical University, geologist engineer Prof.
Dr.Osman Bektaş, highlighted the geological structure of the region and said, "According to the official earthquake map, the highest probability of an earthquake in Trabzon in the next 50 years is 6.6 with a 90% likelihood.
There is a 10% possibility of experiencing an even larger earthquake." Bektaş explained that there are two reasons why the earthquake risk is high in Trabzon: "Firstly, the building stock is not resistant to earthquakes.
Secondly, due to the region’s geological characteristics, it has the capability of amplifying potential earthquakes.In other words, loose soil in the coastal areas of Trabzon can intensify earthquakes beyond their actual magnitude."
Bektaş also mentioned that the most significant factor increasing the risk of earthquake in Trabzon is the landslide-prone areas.
He stated, "Since the slopes facing north in Trabzon are completely landslide-prone areas, an earthquake can trigger landslides in these regions." Bektaş also warned that multi-storey buildings in the area can lead to loss of life and property.
Bektaş emphasized the importance of conducting local ground study operations in the coastal areas of Trabzon.
– Trabzon has a high risk of earthquakes due to filled areas in the city and its geological characteristics.
– The building stock in Trabzon is not resistant to earthquakes, further increasing the risk.
– The official earthquake map predicts a 90% likelihood of a 6.6 magnitude earthquake in Trabzon in the next 50 years, with a 10% possibility of an even larger earthquake.
– Landslide-prone areas in Trabzon can be triggered by earthquakes, posing additional risks.
– Multi-storey buildings in Trabzon can lead to loss of life and property during an earthquake.
– Conducting local ground study operations in the coastal areas of Trabzon is crucial to understanding and mitigating the earthquake risk.